TAKE ADVANTAGE OF TECHNOLOGY IN HEALTHCARE
We believe in leveraging broadband technology to support our members’ visions and power their success.
We believe in high bandwidth, low latency private network connectivity is the cornerstone of future technology-based healthcare services. We believe small hospitals should have a connection that is at least 100 Mbps, application and vendor-neutral, and connected to other networks in the region.
Previously we helped 12 hospitals improve connectivity with the Rural Nebraska Health Network (RNHN) Eastern Expansion.
Independent Health Network (IHN) consortium was started in 2015 and became operational in 2017. We expanded access to independent hospitals with a statewide, diverse path 10 Gbps network that delivers a minimum of 100 Mbps to any not-for-profit hospitals in the region.
The Independent Health Network Phase 1 project brought on an additional 29 hospitals serving as either hubs or edge locations. We currently have a cross connection to the fiber-based RNHN based in Scottsbluff and have hubs at UNMC, Bryan, and CHI. We have the capability to provide Layer 2 connections to the largest medical organizations in the region. Our Internet access is redundant and diverse – supported by a NebraskaLink connection in Omaha and Allo in North Platte.
Based on customer need, we plan to enable cross connectivity with other medical organizations and networks in Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, and Wyoming.
KEY IHN ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Fully managed cross connection to the RNHN to support disaster recovery and future needs
- Enhanced relationships with regional telecom carriers to explore improving rural connectivity and opportunities for more collaboration and new revenue
- Joined the Schools, Health & Libraries Broadband Coalition (SHLB) which provides IHN a national anchor institution peer group for advocacy, networking, and education
- Participated in the Nebraska State Telemedicine Network redesign
WHAT TO EXPECT MOVING FORWARD
- Add redundant internet capability to the network
- Explore diverse career pathways to deliver true resiliency
- Add cloud-based video teleconferencing as a service
- Further develop hub site relationships
- Expand peer network relationships throughout region