In January, CMS announced a new, voluntary bundled payment model called Bundled Payments for Care Improvement Advanced (BPCI Advanced). This is the latest effort from CMS to transition into value-based care models that tie payment to cost and quality outcomes.
In an Action for Better Healthcare blog post, Mark Hiller points out five benefits of participation:
- First of all, BPCI Advanced participants can still participate in the Medicare Shared Savings and Next Gen ACO programs, creating an overlap for those already working in population health.
- Because BPCI Advanced qualifies as an advanced alternative payment model under MACRA, participants will be eligible for a 5% bonus of professional fee payments, allowing health systems to better align with physician networks.
- Many organizations have already dedicated time and money into preparing for the Comprehensive Joint Replacement or cardiac bundles. This program uses the same information, so participation takes minimal work to start.
- The design of the bundled payment plan creates an opportunity to integrate primary care, specialists, and post-acute care to improve clinical and margin performance.
- BPCI Advanced participants can take advantage of payment policy waivers that may have previously been a deterrent.
To read the article click here, or to learn more about BPCI Advanced, click here.