IVIG continues to be in short supply. Supply is less than the demand, in part to the growing number of primary immune deficiency disease; off-label treatment uses, and increased geriatric population that is disposed to antibody deficiency disorders. Usage is estimated to grow around 7% or more through 2022.
Some conservation suggestions:
- Reduce/Avoid waste
- Prepare when patient arrives
- Batch if have more than one patient
- Round to the nearest vial size staying within 10% of the prescribed dose.
- Work with provider to ensure appropriate use
- Set up parameters via P&T/Medical Staff Committee
Contact PHV with questions or for further assistance.